Monday, July 26, 2010

Xeno-

"So, you can stay in here," said Donbran, gesturing toward a back room with a couch and a TV. "The couch folds out into a bed if you're into that sort of thing. I'm really glad you decided to stay here."

"Thanks, I appreciate this," replied Moptop, who moved his bags into the room and sat down on the couch.

As he was walking out of the room, Donbran paused, adding as an afterthought, "Oh, by the way. I figured you wouldn't mind, but there's been some sort of dwarf that comes into this room. It's invisible most of the time, but sometimes not. Might come in and . . . well, I don't know what he might do. Good night!"

"What!?" Before Moptop could speak, Donbran had closed the door and left him in the dark room.

Hours passed, and, unable to sleep, Moptop perched in the corner of the couch, eying the door. Ellynnorr, who had accompanied him on this journey, came into the room and explained that, sharing his concern about invisible presences in the night, she had also been unable to sleep. The two stayed awake well into the night, chatting to alleviate the tension of keeping watch.

Hours passed, and just as he was about to drift into sleep, Moptop reclined and cast a final glance across the room. He saw a four-foot-tall figure standing behind the TV, staring at him with completely black eyes.